We Are Bulldawgs

A Grassroots Effort to Unite the Bulldawg Nation

Here's what UGA Basketball blogger DaugMan's Chronicles thinks.....

Recruiting

Recruiting is in trouble, in my opinion.  I look up and down the roster and wonder, where's the beef?  There's no low post scorer.  I thought Donte Williams was going to have a great year, but now that he has been slow out of the gate, we don't have anyone who can finish reliably.  Nobody with a big butt  and good hands.  No Trey Thompkins, no Jeremy Price, no Chris Barnes.  Not even a troubled but talented guy like Takais Brown.

Hate to say this, but we don't have makers on the perimeter either.  A Ricky McPhee, Levi Stukes or Billy Humphrey sure would make a huge difference to this team.  KCP is a great all-around player and Vincent Williams had a nice game against Missouri.  Maybe the guys coming in next year will help, but it's the combination that we lack.  We need a low post guy who can score and a consistent three-point threat when defenses collapse.

Wins and Losses

Fox has an overall winning percentage in the SEC of 37 percent.  The high-point for Fox was in year two, in which he had the benefit of Felton's recruits.  Now that Fox is in year four with a roster full of his own players, we are definitely struggling.  It's hard for me to watch a game and see us barely show up at Florida, and end up losing by 33 points.  Our pre-conference record included defeats at home to teams I had hardly ever heard of.

Even counting the extremely challenged 2004/05 team, Felton went 22 and 42 in the SEC in his first four years.  Fox will have to go 3 and 10 in the SEC from this point forward just to match Felton's record.  Fox can do it, but if your current coach can hardly match the record of the last coach who was fired, that's a bad sign.  Especially so when the current coach makes over twice the salary of the last guy.

Where are we headed?  I hope Tony Parker comes to town, or we get a big-time JUCO low post scorer somehow for next year.  Otherwise, looks like given our downward trajectory, a change is in the wind.  30 percent wasn't good enough in 2009 and it's certainly not good enough now.

**read DaugMan's full post here.

AGREE ? / DISAGREE ?

Share your thoughts in the "Reply to This" box below.....

Tags: Basketball, Chronicles, Coach, DaugMan's, Donte, Fox, UGA, Williams

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Check out Rockin Rob's Hoops Report from Saturday before the game where he say, "If we don’t get some wins soon, not only could any building blocks for next year be impossible, but Mark Fox will be at Kinkos checking out resume templates."

http://www.bulldawgillustrated.com/blog/1457/Rockin-Robs-let-me-up-...

I agree. I had this conversation not two days ago with someone. I love Mark Fox, I think he's a great guy and I think his scheme would work given some top notch players. Unforunately, he's not getting those players. KCP was a great get. I think Charles Mann is going to be very good as well. But Vincent Williams and Sherrad Brantley aren't the answer on the perimeter. We were all expecting great things out of Marcus Thornton as well but with those bad knees of his, he isn't much help.

This is tough...again, I like Mark Fox, but I don't think he can hang with the great recruiters in the SEC. The crazy thing is that Georgia has an incredible wealth of basketball talent in the state. We just don't know how to get them to Athens. Fox just hasn't quite been able to build the relationship with AAU coaches and teams that the others have. I think this will ultimately be his downfall.

RSS

Members

Social Connect

Join Our Mailing List
Email:

© 2014   Created by Bulldawg Illustrated.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service